Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 14: Tooth Fairy Money

     Yesterday my students were able to experience what it would be like to be completely blind so today I wanted them to experience what it would be like to have partial vision.  I had the children hold up a piece of wax paper.  With wax paper you can seen differences between light and dark colors, as well as where windows are for example.  They could see if there are patches of light coming into a room.  Then the children held up a piece of wax paper with a hole punch out of it.  This vision represents tunnel vision.  They enjoyed looking around the room and at each other.  Later I blindfolded the children and they tried writing their names.  I found it interesting that almost all of the children wanted to correct their mistakes and were uncomfortable with them when they took their blindfolds off.
     We learned some tips from Joni Eareckson Tada on "How To Be a Friend to Someone With a Visual Impairment."  The kids all thought it was funny when I yelled, "You don't need to yell at someone with a visual impairment!"  I told them how funny we all are when we try to speak loudly to anyone with an impairment, no matter what it is.
     In terms of powerful people, I loved introducing them to Stevie Wonder.  What an incredible musician he is.  In his tribute to Michael Jackson he talked about how great God is and always is.
     We also talked about Helen Keller.  I showed them a clip from "The Miracle Worker" and Helen was throwing tantrums because she was so frustrated.  The kid's eyes got huge when I explained about how she learned to communicate by Anne Sullivan signing into the palm of her hand.  They were amazed by the incredible lives that both Stevie and Helen have lived.
     AND just when I think the money will start slowing down, they bring in bags full of money.  It may drive them crazy to not know the total number of wheelchairs, but it sure makes it more fun!!  They will be very surprised at the end!  One of my kids, Andrew, has had a personal goal of raising enough money by himself for one wheelchair and he met that goal yesterday.  I am so proud of him and love the look he has on his face for reaching the goal.  And today, I smile every time I think about Claire.
She was terrified to loose her first tooth, but bravely handled it.  Today she lost her second tooth.  She wasn't afraid anymore and looked up at me during "Circle Time" and said, "I know what I am going to do with the tooth fairy money.  I am going to give it for the wheelchair!"  Claire didn't say it out of obligation, but with great excitement in her eyes!
     The kids were excited when I told them we are going to lead chapel next month.  They already had wonderful ideas on how to communicate the butterfly effect to three year-olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment