Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 13: The Trust Walk

     This week we are learning about "How to Be a Friend to Someone With a Visual Impairment."  We started off our morning with a trust walk.  I had eight children grab a partner.  One of the children in each pair would be blindfolded and the other one would be the helper or guide.  I am always amazed by how confidently the children that are blindfolded walk down the hall, completely secure in knowing their friend is going to watch out for them.  I am also amazed at how well the children watch out for each other.  When we arrived at the classroom, I had the children switch roles and go out for a trust walk again.  I then took a group of six out.
     During our "Circle Time" we talked about the trust walk.  I asked them which role they enjoyed the most.  It was pretty much split down the middle.  The amazing thing is that almost all of the children that said they enjoyed being blind the most stated that they liked how kind their partner was to them.  They like being taken care of.  When I asked the kids that liked being the guide the most, they all shared that they like taking care of someone and being kind to them.  I am continually amazed at their level of compassion.
     More money and butterflies came in for our fundraiser.  The butterflies are now down both sides of the hallway.  They have reached 10 wheelchairs.  I will wait to reveal any more until we have our celebration in April.  They will be so excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment