Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 16: Learning About Intellectual/Emotional Challenges

Intellectual/Emotional challenges are probably the hardest for me to explain to kids but in many ways, they dearest to my heart.  Children that struggle in this area are so often misunderstood and left out.  How do you help children understand what it feels like?  This challenge is much harder to simulate.

I took out a large letter "b."  I asked the kids what letter it was, then I flipped it backwards and asked them what letter it was.  Next I flipped the letter upside down and asked them what letter it was and lastly, flipped the letter and held it backwards until they had seen the letters b, d, q, and p.

I explained that it is normal for them to get these letters confused at their age but soon it should stop being confusing to them.  Someone with dyslexia, however, may have a hard time keeping it straight for years and it will be more difficult for them to learn how to read.  We then had a great discussion about how we can encourage our friends as we all learn how to read.  We need to be encouragers, not discouragers!

Later I role-played some behaviors common among people who have autism.  The children started laughing.  I asked them if they thought this person was smart and they said no.  I then told them that the person I was acting out could see the quick tiny credits at the end of the movie and recite all of the names after only seeing them once.  They were amazed at how smart he was now!

The kids had numerous questions and we were able to have a great discussion.  I can hardly wait to see how they react to the different experiences I have planned for them!

We finished our day with a happy dance!  
The kids have now raised over $1,100!! 
That is enough for 7 wheelchairs!!  
I can hardly wait for the big day tomorrow!
Great job kids!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment