Monday, April 27, 2015

Days 14 and 15: How Much Do I Really Trust?

Have you ever tried to imagine what it would be like to be blind?  The kids did!  I asked them what they would miss seeing if they no longer could.  Here are some of there answers:

  • My mom, dad, and brother
  • Running the bases in baseball
  • Walking in the woods
  • Knowing where my sister was
  • Seeing my dog
  • Seeing everyone that I love
  • Seeing my goldfish swim
  • Seeing the pictures in my Bible
  • Seeing my birthday party
Their answers were honest and revealing about what is important to them.  After our discussion I told them they would be going on a "trust walk" and would experience what it would be like to be blind.
They paired up with a classmate, one of them put on a blindfold and the other offered his arm to be a guide.  We went on a walk together.  I think it was equally challenging to be blind and to be a guide.  After we finished our walk, we traded roles.

When we returned to the classroom, I asked them what it felt like to be blind.  Their answers were:
  • Scary
  • Hard to see
  • Hard to know where you were going
  • Hard to know where I was
  • I felt out of control
  • Everything was different
  • Cool!
  • Creepy...it was dark and I couldn't see
When I asked them what it felt like to be the guide they said,
  • Cool and it was nice being nice to a person
  • It was fun telling them where to go
  • It was fun to be gentle
  • It was fun holding onto her and telling her where to go
  • Cool!
We concluded our time together by looking through cards that showed different types of visual impairment.  It made us more grateful for our vision and more compassionate towards those that have a visual impairment.

No comments:

Post a Comment