Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day Three: How To Be A Friend

Today one of my little girls came into the classroom in her twirly pink Easter dress with a smile on her face and a tiara on her head.  She proudly handed me a baggie with three one dollar bills and one 100 dollar bill.  She told me she had raised the money for the wheelchair by singing one of her favorite songs to some of her friends.  I love it when kids use their talents to make a difference in our world!  It took us a while to write her name on 100 butterflies and get them hung up but we had a great time doing it!  The kids were so excited when they walked out into the hall and saw the ribbon of butterflies in the hallway.

We read a couple of books about children with physical disabilities and then we discussed how to be a friend to someone with a physical disability.  I love demonstrating the crazy things we do when we encounter someone in a wheelchair.  The kids quickly caught on as I exaggerated a variety of situations.  They were great at picking out what behaviors were polite and which ones weren't.  I only wish I could be a fly on the wall as the kids act out polite behavior for their parents at the dinner table tonight.

We closed our time with one of the educational clips from the Joni and Friends website.  Here is the link to their "Kid's Corner."  http://www.joniandfriends.org/kids-corner/be-a-better-friend/
I highly recommend their videos, "Friendship Adventures," that teach children (and adults) about disabilities.  The clip we watched today was entitled, "It's Nice To Get Close."

Tomorrow we will have a physical therapist visit our classroom.  She will simulate what it is like to have a physical disability, as well as show them some therapy treatments.  I appreciate all of the people that partner with me to teach kids about kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment