Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Days 11, 12, and 13: Letting the Work of God Be Displayed

It has been wonderfully challenging to keep up this week.  When I am teaching the unit on disabilities it is always a bit of a challenge to keep up.  If I could I would walk around with a little notebook sharing all of the things the kids say, yet I always want to be in the moment with them and not worrying about writing things down.  Within every lesson I teach, they share something amazingly simple, yet profound.  They say something that makes me laugh so hard I have a hard time recovering.  And they will also share something heavy on their own hearts such as a loved one tackling a health challenge.  

My heart was heavy as one of the children shared about her grandmother's recent surgery that will make her life far more challenging.  With every heavy story from a child there comes a really touching one as well.  I have a little boy that shared about his grandfather that lives in heaven now.  He wanted to have a birthday cake for him today and told his mom, "I can blow out the candles for him because I know he can't."  I love all of the thinking behind that statement!  He misses his grandfather but he is also going to celebrate him!

One little boy had been rather quiet about the fundraiser and then today proudly brought in a check for $100.  He had been working hard for his dad to earn money to help "the kids."  When I handed him 100 butterflies with his name on them, he smiled and said, "That is a lot of me!"  Indeed, that was a lot of him...his thoughts, his time, his compassion.

We have had some great discussions over the last three days regarding visual impairment or blindness.  Today I shared one of my favorite stories from scripture.  It is found in the book of John.  A blind man was begging for money.  The disciples asked Jesus if his blindness was due to his sin or the sin of his parents.  Jesus replied, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, " said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."  I can hardly wait to introduce the kids to some powerful people, especially the ones that have let the work of God be displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment