Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day Two: Can You Catch A Disability?

     I feel like we are on an amazing vacation in my classroom!  The kids are so excited and they cannot wait for the next adventure.  This morning we talked about some of the crazy things we believe about people with disabilities.  I asked the class if you can catch a disability from someone.  They looked at each other and said, "I don't know.  What do you mean?'  
     I said, "Well, if your little brother has a cold and he sneezed on you, you might catch his cold.  Could you catch a disability?"
     One of the kids said, "No, they don't sneeze!"
     I responded by saying, "Well, yes they do sneeze if they have a cold or allergies, just like you do."
    To top off the discussion, one of the kids said, "Well, yesterday I sat next to 'Michael' all day (he has a broken arm) and my arm is doing just fine."  Do you see why I love five year-olds!!
     Later I read a story from the Bible about Mephibosheth, the grandson of King Saul and the son of Prince Jonathan.  He was injured at a young age and was unable to run or walk again.  He was heir to the throne but people didn't know how to respond to his disability and marginalized him and treated him as an outcast.
     Later when David became the King, he extended kindness and compassion to Mephibosheth and welcomed him in the palace and had him eat at the king's table.  This changed everything!  Since Mephibosheth was accepted by the king, others began to accept him too.
     I told the children they have the power to change the world by how they treat people.  If there is a little boy or girl in their class that has a disability they can change everything for them by being the one to accept them and befriend them.  Others will follow the example set for them.
     I have to say, I am already proud of my students!  One of my kids fell and severely broke his arm last week.  They have all been so kind to him, each taking turns to protect him, help him and play with him.  The butterfly effect is already happening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment