Monday, April 13, 2015

Day Five: Powerful People Who Happen To Have A Physical Disability

I love it when I have the opportunity to introduce children to amazing people.  They won't even have the opportunity to limit someone's potential if they understand the possibilities at such an early age!

Today I told the children to lie down on the floor and just listen to some beautiful music.  It was so calming and worshipful.  As the song was coming to a close I picked up my ukulele and started to gently strum it.  I told the kids it was a ukulele and the person I wanted to introduce them to plays the guitar but they are similar in how they are played.

As I was strumming, I asked the kids, "Now, how would you play an instrument like this if you don't have any hands or arms?"  They, of course, instantly knew the answer because I had shared a story of a young man that could type without any arms.  They all yelled in unison, "With your toes!".  I then put the ukulele on the floor and showed them how difficult it would be.

I asked the kids, "Do you want to meet my friend that can play with his toes?"  They were all excited to meet Tony Melendez.  I encourage you to watch him on youtube:  Tony Meléndez (Part 01) - You Are My God.  All of their five year-old jaws dropped.  It was priceless!

Next they were introduced to Nicholas James Vujicic No arms No legs No worries! wmv YouTube.  He is another one of my heroes.  It is amazing to watch their faces change as they change from uncomfortable to thinking Nick is funny to loving him in the span of just a few minutes.  We talked about all of the things Nick is able to do because he uses his disability as a platform to share his love for God.  We concluded our time with hugs all around, Nick style of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment