Monday, March 3, 2014

2014: Day 1

I love how God has a way of going before me and making better lesson plans than I do!  One of my fellow teachers led chapel today and had the children act out stories of Jesus healing people.  He healed a blind man, 10 people with leprosy, a lame man, a woman with a bleeding disorder and of course Lazarus.  What a great way to start my unit on special needs!  Jesus was and is a great healer but I also want the kids to understand the compassion and love Jesus had for those that were suffering or struggling.  He spent a significant amount of time with them.

I spent the morning explaining physical disabilities and read several books to them.  One of the stories was written by Joni Eareckson Tada called, "You've Got A Friend."  It is a story about a little boy that becomes disabled through an accident and the struggles he went through in accepting his disability and working through the changes that occurred in his relationships.  A beautiful friendship is renewed in the story.

We also met Joni through a DVD.  She shared her testimony with the kids and shared the vision behind one of her ministries, "Wheels For the World."  I saw quite a few eyebrows raised as they saw video clips of children that have not been able to get around because they don't have access to a wheelchair.  Their surprised expressions will soon turn to joy as they get to know the stories of these children.

They enjoyed meeting BoBo and Naomi, some of Joni's friends on Kid's Corner at the Joni and Friends website.  They learned more about Joni as she sang for them, drew a picture for them by holding a pencil in her mouth, and then showed the 64 books she has written.  As she shared her testimony her wheelchair disappeared and they focused on the beautiful person Joni is...who happens to be in a wheelchair.

The kids broke the mold this year by being so excited about meeting "Smiley," my teaching assistant. Smiley is a child's wheelchair that God delivered to my classroom after praying for one for a summer.    Usually the children are uncomfortable with the wheelchair for the first few days, but not this class!  They were all anxious to go for a spin!

I love teaching the kids but I also enjoy what they teach me along the way.  I was overwhelmed by the number of questions they all had about their grandparents and great-grandparents.  They are anxious to learn about ways to help them in a variety of ways.  The depth of their hearts never ceases to amaze me.  

Join me tomorrow.  I know I will have fun things to share from the kids!

Deana

No comments:

Post a Comment