Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 10: Market Day Was Blessed

On Friday the children in my class had their second market day to raise money for "Wheels For the World."  It was fun watching their faces light up every time someone purchased something.  The even more beautiful thing is they understand the money is for someone else.  They are always anxious to hear how much money came in and how many wheelchairs will be refurbished and distributed with the money they raised.  On Friday we were able to have 2 more "happy dances!"  We celebrate with a "happy dance" every time we have raised another $150.  I have a feeling there will be a few more happy dances tomorrow!

I was pretty exhausted by Friday afternoon and jumped in the car to head to Houston.  During the drive it brought me great joy to think about how much the kids have done and all they have sacrificed.  I am so proud of them.

While I was in Houston I had the opportunity to go to "Space Center Houston" with my son-in-law and grandson.  They loved a station that was set up to make paper airplanes with the chance to fly them through a variety of hoops.  I loved watching them fly the planes.  I also loved it when a young girl came forward to fly some planes.  She was apparently affected by cerebral palsy and was in a wheelchair.  Everyone cheered her on as she flew her planes and offered up their planes so she could fly them as well.  Everyone clapped when she made it through the first hoop.  She was so happy.  

This is one of the biggest concepts I want my students to learn.  We should all be cheering each other on no matter what our challenge is.  We should also celebrate with each other when our challenges no longer hold us back.


No comments:

Post a Comment