Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day 15: The Five-Year-Old World

On Friday I handed out Braille alphabet cards.  The kids closed their eyes and felt the little tiny dots and exclaimed, "Oh I can read it.  That is easy."  When I showed them just the book of Acts in Braille their jaws all dropped.  In fact they were speechless.

We hung numerous butterflies.  They now cover both sides of the long hallways in the school.  Every year someone suggests I have one butterfly be the equivalent of $5 so that we don't have to have so many.  Five-year-olds don't really understand money or the magnitude of a number but they do understand hundreds and hundreds of butterflies down hallways.  It is always an interesting challenge for me to stop and think like a five-year-old.  In some respects their minds are so simplistic and yet, they continually blow my mind with how they get things so much easier than adults do.  I really do love living in their world for 5 hours a day :)

I think the toughest part of the unit is coming up.  How do I make the celebration at the end meaningful to the kids?  I am proud of them and want them to know that but I also don't want them to loose sight of it really being about sacrifice and helping a friend.  I would covet your prayers as the plans come together to celebrate the "butterfly effect" fifteen children generated.

No comments:

Post a Comment