Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day 12: Their Sacrifice is Pure and Beautiful!

We started the morning by hanging butterflies down the hallway.  The kids were excited that we had filled one long hallway and have now started on another one.  The kids enjoy stepping out of class and being the special helper that hangs up the butterflies.  I love how they all cheer each other on and congratulate one another when they are hanging their butterflies.  We are still about 300 butterflies behind so tomorrow will be another exciting day!

Today we talked about visual impairment.  I held up a sheet of wax paper and looked around the room with it.  I told them I could see the light in the windows and could see the dark doors but that was about all.  I shared with them that some people with a visual impairment can only see light and dark.  I then held up a piece of wax paper with a hole in it.  I told them this is similar to tunnel vision.  The person can see right in front of them but they don't have peripheral vision.

We talked about different tools people with visual impairment use to help them such as glasses, contacts, canes, guide dogs, Braille, and other tools.  One of my students wore glasses for the first time today and all of the kids were telling her how great she looked.  She was very proud and one of my other students told her that she would help her with her glasses.  We also talked about vision problems that you may have when you are young versus vision problems that can occur when you are older.

I told the kids I wanted to try an experiment.  We talked about when one sense is gone or impaired  other senses kick in even more.  They remembered some of the things they learned from Helen Keller and how she used the sense of smell and touch to know who was coming towards her.  I closed my eyes and asked the kids to line up in front of me and not say a word.  One-by-one I guessed who they were by feeling their faces and hair.  I guessed them 100% correct (except for when my substitute aid got on her knees and got in line...that really threw me off!)

After our discussion I told them we were going to go on a trust walk.  They would have a partner and one of them would be blindfolded and the other partner would be their guide.  One of my kids was a little apprehensive but was soon excited about the adventure.  They were all great.  The only accident that occurred was when my aide was blindfolded and one of the kids guided her.  She walked into a sign-in table and knocked it over.  We were surprised at first but we were soon laughing once we knew everyone was fine.  We came back into the classroom and talked about how it felt to be blindfolded and how it felt to be a guide.  They all felt challenged by the experience but learned some great lessons.

The other interesting conversation that happened today was over "The Wizard of Oz."  The kids said, "You know, Mrs. Boggess, that movie is about people with special needs."  I was impressed by their insight.  I never looked at the movie that way but I said, "yes, they all had their own special challenge and they encouraged each other and supported each other as they faced them."  I don't think I will look at the movie the same way again!

The kids put more money and butterflies in the butterfly box today and I appreciate every single dollar they raise.  It doesn't matter how much the kids raise.  What matters is the difference the process makes in their heart and in the hearts of those that are watching.  The kids have had such pure hearts in this process.  They are happy every time another child will be able to get out of bed, play, and go to school.  They have all worked so hard and have sacrificed.  

I do want to share a special moment with one of the kids though.  It was a great way to end my day!  I was having dinner out with my husband and mother when the phone rang.  A little voice said, "Mrs. Boggess, Mrs. Boggess, it is Auri.  I raised $186 tonight!  Her excitement was pure and beautiful!  She had served dinner and had a concert in the park and charged $10 a person.  Members of the class were there to support her.  I hadn't been able to attend due to another important commitment.  It made my day that she wanted me to be part of it and share in her excitement.

I close with one of my favorite verses,

But Jesus called for them, saying, “Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."
Luke 18:15-17 

No comments:

Post a Comment