Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 6: Learning About the Hearing Impaired

It was a little challenging to get up this morning after being off for a week for spring break.  When I arrived at school and my sweet kids started telling me all kinds of adventure stories, telling me about their fundraiser projects, and giving me their wonderful hugs, I was immediately glad to be back!  I really missed my kids, as well as their contagious enthusiasm!

We had a wonderful morning in circle time, chapel, phonics, playtime, lunch, and recess.  When we joined together for our special needs unit, excitement filled the room.  They kids couldn't wait to tell me about their fundraiser projects!  I have a butterfly box on my chair to contain the money the kids have raised.  We all get excited when I tell them there is money in the box and butterflies ready to put on the walls of our school.  The kids are always anxious to know how their classmate raised the money.  Both of the kids that brought in money today had worked hard around the house to earn the money.  I love seeing the pride on their faces when they tell me what they did!  One of my kids was beaming as she showed me the quilt she made with her mom that will be raffled off.  Another one of my kids has an amazing voice and told me about the concert she gave for some friends and relatives and she is going to give another one next weekend.  She really wants to be a Broadway star some day and it won't surprise me if she is!  The rest of the kids shared what they are working on for our Market Day at the end of the week.  They will be selling Lego kits, muffins, OJ, coffee, and gently used children's books and toys to name a few.

We also had our second day with Joni Eareckson Tada today.  On her DVD she shared about the wheelchairs, where they are gathered from, who repairs them, where they are taken and how they are given to people.  We talked about the different tools, accommodations, and methods of communication a hearing impaired person may use such as hearing aids, cochlear implants, lip reading, and sign language.  Tomorrow they will watch some clips of people hearing sound for the first time after getting a cochlear implant.  They will also see a variety of hearing aids and how they have evolved over the last 25 years.

I enjoy sharing what the kids are learning but I sure wish i had an adequate way to show you the kid's enthusiasm and compassion.  They just make me smile all over when I think about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment