Tuesday, March 4, 2014

2014: Day 2 Myths About Disabilities

It was a wonderful day with the kids.  Most of our discussion was about some of the myths about people with disabilities.  I love how children don't really have any myths.  They are like blank slates.  They are curious and have questions but they don't make assumptions about people.  They are pure and they are factual, not hurtful.  I had to laugh last week because I asked the kids if they thought I was older than another co-worker or if they thought she was.  They smiled and said I was older and I was also fatter.  I laughed.  They had no intention of hurting my feelings, rather they called it as they saw it.

I asked them if it would be polite to ask someone about their disability.  They said no it wouldn't be.  We then had a great discussion about how to ask someone a question politely.  Kids have a lot of questions.  They are trying to learn everything they can.  We just have to teach them how to learn about different people and their gifts as well as their challenges.

We read some great books today:  Don't Call Me Special by Pat Thomas and Susan Laughs by Jeanne Willis.  Both of the books shared ways that people make assumptions about people with disabilities.  They brought home the point that we often assume people with disabilities don't want to do something or can't.  The kids have loved coming up with accommodations to help someone with a disability participate in an activity that appears too difficult.

At this stage of the unit the kids share numerous stories about their own personal "boo-boos."  You will be amazed at how our discussions will grow and develop over the next month.  Thank you for walking this journey with us.

Blessings,
Deana

No comments:

Post a Comment