Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 14: Powerful People (Who Happen To Be Visually Impaired)

Today I shared a story from the Bible about a blind boy.  He overheard some people talking about his blindness.  They wondered if his blindness was caused by his sin or the sin of his parents.  We want to think that no one thinks that way anymore, but sadly we often do.  We tend to want to think that we have much more control over things than we really do.  If we do or don't do something then we won't get cancer.  If we eat right we won't have any health problems.  If we don't make any bad choices everything will turn out great.  Of course I advocate making good choices and eating right, but things still happen.

In scripture it says that this boy was born blind so that God's power could be demonstrated through him.  I love telling the kids that I have seen God's power through so many people with disabilities.  People that have overcome huge challenges in order for God to be glorified.  

We also watched some clips of some incredibly talented people that happen to be blind.  They loved listening to the music of Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.  They had a number of questions about glasses and how they can play the piano when they can't see, but they were definitely impressed by their talent.

We spent some time talking about when one sense is missing some of the other senses move to the forefront and help compensate.  I shared a video of a blind man that made a basket at a basketball game and won McDonald's for a year.  This man was blind yet made the basket.  I asked the kids what sense he relied on and the first several kids said he must have felt the basket.  I told them he didn't.  Eventually they guessed hearing but couldn't figure out what he heard.  They were amazed when I told them he had a friend call to him while standing under the basket.  I love watching the kids brainstorm and find a different way to do something.  I hope this skill will help them in their lives.  I know it has been a valuable tool for me.  My dad would always give me different scenarios and ask me what a "reasonable accommodation" would be for a particular person with a disability.

We read a great story today about a dog with some special needs.  He was born small and weak and people said he would never be a sled dog on a team.  Due to the dedication of his owner and musher, he proved everyone wrong.  He went on to win many competitions.  The kids loved hearing a story about a dog and seeing him overcome his challenges.

Just before lunch we had a few fun activities.  We blindfolded the children, spun them around and then had them sign their name on a piece of paper.  They enjoyed taking off the blindfold and seeing how they did.  Afterwards I had the children spread out across the classroom and one at a time say hello to our aide in the classroom.  She had to guess which one called out to her.  I must say she was pretty amazing.  She got 7 out of the 11 that we there.  It is a lot tougher than it seems!

It has been a great week full of excitement.  I am excited to say...

The kids have now raised enough for 10 wheelchairs!!!  
I am so proud of their hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment