Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 4: Powerful People (Who Happen To Have A Physical Disability)

This morning we went through Joni Eareckson Tada's list on "How To Be a Friend to Someone With a Disability." They loved role playing and learning how to serve someone in a wheelchair with kindness, compassion and dignity.

I then asked the kids if they would like to meet some powerful people that have let God use their weakness to show His power.  I brought a guitar into class and started strumming.  I asked them how someone could play the guitar if they didn't have any arms.  They all shouted, "You can't."  I set the guitar on the floor and told them to think about it.  One of them asked me if you could play it with your feet.  I told them that would be really tough but I have met someone who can.  I introduced them to Tony Melendez through a CD and then through You Tube.  They were amazed.  I only wish they could meet him in person.  He is such a kind and gracious man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZPYGBXQ44

I then told them about a young lady that can fly a plane with her feet.  Once again, they were amazed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0LvmurKbU

I will introduce them to some more amazing people tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment