Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 7: The Blessing of Sound

The kids this year have really enjoyed my teaching assistant, Smiley, who happens to be a wheelchair.  They come in so excited when they are the line leader for the day because that means they get to ride in the wheelchair to lunch and recess.  They love spinning around the hallway, popping wheelies, and do a little wheeling all by themselves.

Today I showed them a variety of hearing aids and how they have become smaller and smaller over time.  As I tried each one on they loved telling me if they could still see it or not.  This class has been entertaining.  During our week on physical disabilities I heard stories about all of their "boo-boos."  Today I heard all about the ear infections they have had.  They are definitely finding ways to relate to the disabilities.

After typing in "Hearing Sound for the First Time" on You Tube, I was able to find some great videos of people hearing sound for the first time and more importantly, the sound of their child or parent for the first time.  Several children shared how grateful they are that their mommies can hear them say, "I love you."

The kids brought in about $200 today.  Most of the money was raised by doing chores around the house and having lemonade stands.  My student that loves to sing also had her first concert and sang her little heart out.  They were so proud as they hung up their butterflies down the hallway.  The joy on their faces is even more priceless than if I had given them a new toy.  They understand the difference they are making and are so happy for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment